Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  01:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question. Were any of you guys ever a "Patrol Boy?" As I drive around today, I don't see anymore Patrol Boys and I don't rememmber when or why they disappeared. When we were Patrol Boys we could put on our white belts and walk out in the middle of any intersection in North Hammond and stop traffic immediately. Also, we had a motorcycle cop that would stop and say "Hi" and watch us every week! For ten year old boys, back in 1952, we were pretty much bulletproof! Nowadays all I see is orange vests and orange gloves and red STOP signs and yellow flashing lights saying School Zone and maybe a Police car hiding down the street. It sure takes a lot of stuff to do the same job that we "Patrol Boys" used to get done with just a little white belt. My apologies to the ladies but back then there werent any patrol girls or patrol persons just patrol boys. I dont know why, there just werent. I guess that if a girl wanted to be a patrol boy and Coach Thompson said OK then ther would have been Patrol Girls too. Tom W

Edited by - tom w on 03/28/2010 01:22:28
Go to Top of Page

SixTGunr

21 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  01:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a patrol boy in the Hessville area and my post was located at the intersection of Orchard Drive & Arizona Ave right there at Hessville Park. That was when I attended OLPH school. I also was a patrol boy on the bus too. I remember there was a particular way to fold that thing and then you would wear it on your belt all day till it was time to go on duty ...

Another memory ... thanks for jogging the noodle here ...

Six

Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  07:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PATROL BOY!! I haven't thought of that in years. I was a patrol boy at Lincoln Elementry in north Hammond for two years (5th & 6th grade) and again at OPM in the 8th. Man what memories.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  07:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was one also in 8th grade at OLPH. I think we were supposed to help the adult crossing guard at the crossing.
quote:
Originally posted by Roger D

PATROL BOY!! I haven't thought of that in years. I was a patrol boy at Lincoln Elementry in north Hammond for two years (5th & 6th grade) and again at OPM in the 8th. Man what memories.

Go to Top of Page

cartoonguy

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  11:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a patrol boy in the 6th grade, it was my last year at Woodrow Wilson Elementary, we would patrol all the school doors, also the corners of 173rd and Columbia, 173rd and Chestnut, plus we would also assist with the school crossing guard.
Go to Top of Page

BobK

417 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  12:39:56  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
6th grade at Lincoln. Corner of Towle and 142nd.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  13:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Count me in - OLPH '65 - corner Orchard and Arizona - forgot all about learning to "roll up the belt".
We also got to use the stop sign on a stick when we weren't just sticking our arms out.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1185 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  14:22:38  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom W, thank you for bringing this up! It looks like several of us had the honor of being patrol boys, and I was one too.

Here's a picture of me wearing my patrol belt, but I should have worn a dark shirt to make the white belt show up better. This was taken in June of 1960, so I would have just turned 11 years old at the time and would have been just finishing fifth grade at Wallace Elementary School. I was standing in my front yard at 6432 Woodward Avenue.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

duane

370 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  18:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tom - you were quite the studly guy back then!! I see the 1958 Chevy in the background. Was that your family's car?

Here in Minnesota, they still have patrol boys...although there are very few boys that do this job. Mostly girls.

My daughter came home a couple of years ago from middle school and said "Dad, would you be willing to drive me to school on your way to work, so I can get there early and be a patrol?" She did it all year long, and winters are long and cold (sometimes -35 degrees) here in northern MN.

Back when we were patrols in the 1960's they would give us a pocket knife as the year end award. That would be a BIG no no these days and the kid would get expelled permanently just for having a pocket knife at school. So now, they take them to the amusement park south of Minneapolis (and of course, the kids get out a a full day of school for the trip, because it is 3 hours just to get to MNPLS.

Edited by - duane on 03/28/2010 18:18:58
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1185 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  19:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, Duane, that was not our '58 Chevy. That belonged to a neighbor, I guess. I don't remember that car.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  20:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob K what years were you at Lincoln? I was there from 1st thru 6th grade. Went to Clark for 7th in '56.
We got a trip to Comiskey Park to watch the White Sox at the end of the school year.
Go to Top of Page

Roger D

237 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  20:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Sutter was the patrol sponser, he was the only male teacher at Lincoln.
My favorite teachers there were Mrs. Bruckman & Mrs. Hickman.

Edited by - Roger D on 03/28/2010 20:44:29
Go to Top of Page

BobK

417 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  21:51:42  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking 52 & 53 for 5b and 6th with Mr. Sutter. The only one I can remember in my class was Don Bailey because I transferred to Lincoln from Wallace and Don loaned me a pencil my first day. From Lincoln I went to Irving.

Shortly after returning from the Army I bought his parent's house.

Bob

Edited by - BobK on 03/28/2010 21:54:40
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  00:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did patrol boy duty at OLPH off and on from fall '62 to spring '65--corner of 171st and Arizona, right in front of the rectory. Occasionally my brother Mike (also a patrol dude)and I would meet on the street and use those stop-signs-on-a-stick like battle-axes; this was during our "knight/viking" phase.

LR
Go to Top of Page

Jim

46 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  23:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My post in 1958-59 was at Cleveland Street and Parrish Avenue, right in front of Harding Elementary School. Those belts were really cool. The toughest part of the job was learning the "correct" folding of the belt to attach it to your own. Then, there was the loud whistle and arm maneuver (waving both arms over the head and back down in a full circle) relayed to signal the other patrol boys when their duty was over. In payment we were allowed an extra 5-10 minutes to walk back to school from posts that could be several blocks away.

Thanks for the memories !!
Go to Top of Page

SixTGunr

21 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  00:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom J ...

Great foto sir ...
Thanks for sharing that ...

Six
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  02:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom--

Yeah, thanks for the photo. The tree-lined street, the cool cars, the bright sun, nice lawn....I bet it was one of those classic old-time summer days, when everything seemed just right.

Larry R
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1185 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  06:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

Tom--

Yeah, thanks for the photo. The tree-lined street, the cool cars, the bright sun, nice lawn....I bet it was one of those classic old-time summer days, when everything seemed just right.

Larry R

Yeah, Larry, it was June, Baby! School was either just out for the summer or would soon be out.

I would get one of the greatest thrills of my life that summer, and that was a round trip on the famous train, The California Zephyr, from Chicago to San Francisco (actually, Oakland) with my sister, who was a "Zephyrette."

The Zephyrettes were the social directors and were like airline stewardesses, only they had even more responsibilities. There was only one Zephyrette for the whole train.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  20:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob; Did Don Bailey go on to Tech? Did he possibly have a sister? If so, I remember him. If you remember David Barnett , I bet you also remember Rich Ordena from Irving. He was from the 4800 block of Oak St. I think he went on to Hammond High. Does anyone remember a radio program called Corliss Archer?
Another one was A Date with Judy. One of the comments that I read was that these programs were before sex, drugs and rock an roll. I guess one example of the proof of that statement lies in the story of Ricky Nelson, huh? Tom W
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  06:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently acquired a Christmas tv episode of Corliss Archer from MIll Creek. It was very wholesome!
Go to Top of Page

BobK

417 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  11:02:13  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tom, I think he did go to Tech and he had a sister named Phillis. I remember Rich and the Corliss Archer program but not without the help of your mentioning them.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  23:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Corliss Archer ... Looking at my overloaded shelves, here's a list of just some of the great '50s TV programs now available on DVD:

Ernie Kovacs
Groucho Marx
Jack Benny
Red Skelton
The Honeymooners
Andy's Gang
Little Rascals (OK, originally 1930s)
Perry Como
Liberace
Howdy Doody
Kukla, Fran and Ollie
Watch Mr. Wizard
Science Fiction Theatre
One Step Beyond
Twilight Zone
Rocky Jones, Space Ranger
Capt. Gallant of the Foreign Legion
Sky King
Long John Silver
The Buccaneers
Robin Hood
Superman
The Lone Ranger
The Cisco Kid
Sea Hunt
Victory at Sea
Sergeant Preston of the Yukon
Ramar of the Jungle
You Asked for It
Beat the Clock
I've Got a Secret
The Eve Arden Show
Meet Corliss Archer
My Little Margie
Adventures of Topper
Ozzie and Harriet
Our Miss Brooks
I Married Joan
Lassie
Mr. Ed
Maverick
Davy Crockett
Annie Oakley
Bat Masterson
Death Valley Days
Zane Grey Theatre
26 Men
Kit Carson
Jim Bowie
Fury
The Gabby Hayes Show
Wyatt Earp
The Range Rider
The Rifleman
Roy Rogers
Shotgun Slade

And on VHS:
Crusader Rabbit
The Man and The Challenge
Tales of the Vikings

Still on my Want List:

Uncle Johnny Coons
The Rough Riders
My Friend Flicka
Five Fingers

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  02:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill; Great list. Still missing a few like Queen for a Day and You asked for It. Good luck with the Lunchtime Little Theatre thing though, I couldnt get anything from them back then except a postcard of the Weinermobile that said "Eat more Weiners". Just thought of a few more, Bill. How bout Lux Video Theatre, Texaco Star Theatre, and Sid Caesar and Imogene Cocoa. Please forgive the spelling, I went to Tech!! Looking at your list as it is catagorized (comedy, western,etc) I wonder how todays TV would look beside it. Might give some insight as to what direction we are headed. Anyhow thanks for the contribution. Tom W
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  02:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I forgot:

Zorro
Mickey Mouse Club
Love That Bob (The Bob Cummings Show)

And from my Want List:

The Millionaire

What direction are we headed? I'm afraid it's not up.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1185 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  06:42:36  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

Sorry, I forgot:

Zorro
Mickey Mouse Club

And from my Want List:

The Millionaire

Bill

You're right, Bill, we are definitely NOT headed up.

I can't believe the decline in morals just within the span of our lifetimes.

Do you guys realize that there was no such thing as "ratings" on programs or movies that were aired on TV in our younger days? If it was aired, it was fit for the whole family to watch.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  08:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I have four episodes of the Rough Riders on Dvd. Jan Merlin, who played Lt. Kirby once told me he hated the hat they gave him to wear so he kept losing it until they gave up.
I have a couple of Pinky Lee shows from Alpha and they are amazing. He never stops running around and is always catching his breath. It's no wonder he had a heart attack and was off for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  12:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, I forgot:

Zorro
Mickey Mouse Club

And from my Want List:

The Millionaire

Bill

I remember some kind of little newspaper that was going around in the 60s where the Legion of Decency, or someone, would put out a rated list of movies currently playing. If you even thought of seeing one of those in the "Condemned' section, you could be assured that somehow the nuns would find out about it and make the rest of your life miserable. I remember seeing the movie, "I Am Curious-Yellow" in there and I was scared crapless to ask anyone what a title like that meant, in mortal fear that nuns would begin to congregate outside my front door in preparation of some kind of 'intervention' for a kid with a snake-filthy mind....Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 04/08/2010 12:55:14
Go to Top of Page

Saito_56

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  17:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EastHammondBoomer

When I was in 8th grade or maybe freshman year I remember when the old court house downtown was being torn down. I have a vivid image in my mind of the east wall (facing the dogleg curve on Hohman) being removed thus exposing the interior rooms, wall and floor sections as if a time capsule had been opened in public.

Here's a photo courtesy of the HPL I saved a few years ago. You can see the court house's shadow being cast on the south entrance of Goldblatt's.

Has anyone here ever been inside before it was razed?

Dave G

Great photo, I have some info on it. Back in the 60's my dad worked at Goldblatt's as a electrical engineer. He got me a summer job there in the paint, and kitchen tables department. The building next to Goldblatt's in the photo was once a telephone switchboard office, according to my mom who worked there. I guess it was in the early 40's. When I worked at Goldblatts the building was used to store stock. I spent lots of time in that building digging out stock and bringing stock into it. Oh yeah, no air conditioning in there either!!

Rather be living in Indiana
Go to Top of Page

Saito_56

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  17:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EastHammondBoomer

I realize I may not be from the same era as most here on this forum, but I like reading the personal experiences and memories...some humours while others touching if not inspirational. With that being said (or written), I recall the local gas stations (fillin' stations heard here in the Bluegrass state) from my early Region days. I'd get a free STP sticker at my corner Phillips 66 dependending on who was at the cash register (and what mood he was in). Just yesterday I had to shell (pun intended) out 75 cents for air in my tires!

Sometimes as we'd drive through other towns, cites or states, I'd see some gas station with a name I didn't know. As we went through Arkansas I recall Lion brand gas. I'm sure there are tons of other renamed or defunct gas brands out there. I remember Gulf was a TV sponsor for The Wonderful World of Disney (wathched it every Sunday). Later in my life I was stationed in the Persian Gulf. We were part of the one-day-war called Operation Praying Mantis.

Does anyone have any memeories or interesting info about fillin' stations?

Dave G

Remember the Sunoco custom blend gas pump? You could dial up what ever octane you wanted, cheap gas or high octane for that big drag race you were going to have.

Go to Top of Page

Saito_56

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  17:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Tom W, thank you for bringing this up! It looks like several of us had the honor of being patrol boys, and I was one too.

Here's a picture of me wearing my patrol belt, but I should have worn a dark shirt to make the white belt show up better. This was taken in June of 1960, so I would have just turned 11 years old at the time and would have been just finishing fifth grade at Wallace Elementary School. I was standing in my front yard at 6432 Woodward Avenue.

Tom

Check out the "58" Chevy in the background!

Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  09:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have any of those Legion Of Decency lists? I would love to see one again. I remember seeing some of the 'b' films on the list and wondering what was bad in the movie. I'm thinking of the Martin and Lewis film where they join the circus.
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

quote:

Sorry, I forgot:

Zorro
Mickey Mouse Club

And from my Want List:

The Millionaire

Bill

I remember some kind of little newspaper that was going around in the 60s where the Legion of Decency, or someone, would put out a rated list of movies currently playing. If you even thought of seeing one of those in the "Condemned' section, you could be assured that somehow the nuns would find out about it and make the rest of your life miserable. I remember seeing the movie, "I Am Curious-Yellow" in there and I was scared crapless to ask anyone what a title like that meant, in mortal fear that nuns would begin to congregate outside my front door in preparation of some kind of 'intervention' for a kid with a snake-filthy mind....Cj

Go to Top of Page

LegulusQ

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  01:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The small newspaper you are referring to was Our Sunday Visitor, with movie ratings supplied by the Legion of Decency. At first, movies were rated either A:Morally Unobjectionable, B:Morally objectionable in part, or C:Condemned. If you so much as watched one of the C movies you were doomed straight to Hell! Such morally bankrupt movies included: Grease, All That Jazz, Some Like It Hot, Psycho, From Russia With Love, A Fistful of Dollars, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales (apparently Clint Eastwood was in the LOD doghouse!), and The Last Picture Show. I guess I've sealed my fate several times over! Later, the system got more complicated and the A movies were further subdivided into A-I, A-II, and A-III.

LegulusQ
Go to Top of Page

duane

370 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  21:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes...the Our Sunday Visitor. Catholic families couldn't help but get it in the mail every week, because it was automatically assessed to your "pew rent". Remember that one?

We used to read the OSV movie ratings for entertainment. After I snuck in to see Summer of '42 in downtown Chicago and then Carnal Knowledge...I figured I should pretty much ignore those movie ratings.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  08:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did you sneak -in and which theaters were these in downtown Chicago? My favorite was a film by Russ Meyer- Vixen which was pretty suggestive but mild by what you can see today. It played at the Loop theater for over a year. That was the little theater next door to the Chicago theater.
quote:
Originally posted by duane

Ah, yes...the Our Sunday Visitor. Catholic families couldn't help but get it in the mail every week, because it was automatically assessed to your "pew rent". Remember that one?

We used to read the OSV movie ratings for entertainment. After I snuck in to see Summer of '42 in downtown Chicago and then Carnal Knowledge...I figured I should pretty much ignore those movie ratings.

Go to Top of Page

BobK

417 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  11:58:21  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing Vixen and I believe it was at the Ridge Road Drive-in.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Jim Z

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  16:16:55  Show Profile  Click to see Jim Z's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

When I was a kid we got OSV, and when the movie guide was included (was it there in every issue?) I would immediately go to the condemned section. Not that I would/could go to them...

quote:
Originally posted by BobK

I remember seeing Vixen and I believe it was at the Ridge Road Drive-in.

Bob

Jim Zacny
Go to Top of Page

duane

370 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  22:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Jim Plummer
How did you sneak -in and which theaters were these in downtown Chicago? My favorite was a film by Russ Meyer- Vixen which was pretty suggestive but mild by what you can see today. It played at the Loop theater for over a year. That was the little theater next door to the Chicago theater

I can't recall which theaters - it was so many years ago. Summer of 42 might have been at the Oriental. Don't really remember about Carnal Knowledge. We had fake Driver's license IDs (didn't you?)

There was a drive in movie theater out in St. John that was called the Twin Oaks (or something like that). It showed X rated movies. I remember seeing the Stewardesses in 3D. Pretty funny sitting there with a bunch of guys in red/green 3D glasses at a drive in. Good thing we had those glasses on...we could have lost an eye from the 3D effect, if you know what I mean!!!

I remember the Loop Theater. In later years, it turned into an electronics/boombox store, which I thought was pretty sad. I also remember the Cinestage. This was at one time a wonderful theater with the wide, curved screen. I believe that our family saw Battle of the Bulge there (my dad was in the battle of Ardenne Forest, so he loaded up the family as soon as this movie came out and didn't wait for it to finally come to Hammond). I also saw 2001 and Ice Station Zebra at the Cinestage. I believe in later years, this too turned into a porno theater...and I think I saw the Girls of the 4077 (MASH) playing there!
Go to Top of Page

BobK

417 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  06:27:51  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Duane, I think it was Great Oaks and it was in Cedar Lake.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  09:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the best effect in the Stewardesses was the pool game when somebody pushed the back end of a pool cue into the audience.
I never had a fake license since I've always been tall and people always assume. I could buy beer in a liquor store when I was seventeen without getting carded. We used to watch movies at that drive -in all the time before the adult films started playing.
I knew the manager of the Oriental theater quite well. His name was Mickey Gold. He loved Disney cartoons and would always book one with each feature. Also he kept a room behind the second balcony available for the Chicago Police to relax and play cards in. His thinking was that in case of trouble he had police on the scene.
The projectionist at the Cinestage during the porn years was the guy who got me in the union out here in L A. He used to watch classic movies in the booth on 16mm while the audience watched porn.
quote:
Originally posted by duane

Originally posted by Jim Plummer
How did you sneak -in and which theaters were these in downtown Chicago? My favorite was a film by Russ Meyer- Vixen which was pretty suggestive but mild by what you can see today. It played at the Loop theater for over a year. That was the little theater next door to the Chicago theater

I can't recall which theaters - it was so many years ago. Summer of 42 might have been at the Oriental. Don't really remember about Carnal Knowledge. We had fake Driver's license IDs (didn't you?)

There was a drive in movie theater out in St. John that was called the Twin Oaks (or something like that). It showed X rated movies. I remember seeing the Stewardesses in 3D. Pretty funny sitting there with a bunch of guys in red/green 3D glasses at a drive in. Good thing we had those glasses on...we could have lost an eye from the 3D effect, if you know what I mean!!!

I remember the Loop Theater. In later years, it turned into an electronics/boombox store, which I thought was pretty sad. I also remember the Cinestage. This was at one time a wonderful theater with the wide, curved screen. I believe that our family saw Battle of the Bulge there (my dad was in the battle of Ardenne Forest, so he loaded up the family as soon as this movie came out and didn't wait for it to finally come to Hammond). I also saw 2001 and Ice Station Zebra at the Cinestage. I believe in later years, this too turned into a porno theater...and I think I saw the Girls of the 4077 (MASH) playing there!

Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  01:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew I would eventually come across a photo (from my late dad's collection) of MARTY FAYE--he of mid 50's Chicago radio/television fame. Please check out the story which I have quoted below and, as you read it, picture Marty, sitting at the microphone doing a live broadcast just like this in this photo, trying his best to ignore my dad's hi-jinks; it might have even been THIS photo that my dad used!

quote:
Originally posted by HassoBenSoba

My dad, Chicago radio guy Mike Rapchak, knew Marty Faye very well and worked with him at WAAF during the mid-50's (somewhere we have photos of them together in the studio). My dad thought Marty was a big pain-in-the-_____, but basically an OK guy.

He told me of a time when Marty was on the air LIVE reading a commercial...something to do with picture frames or picture lockets of some sort. Anyway, my dad gets a big 8x10" photo of Marty and sticks it into a toilet seat that he had just bought for our home; Marty is reading the commercial LIVE ON THE AIR, and my dad is on the other side of the sound booth window, gets Marty's attention, then OPENS the toilet seat lid to reveal the portrait of Marty with a big s___-eating grin on his face.

Mr. Faye..
how shall we say....
failed to make it through the commerical
that day.

LR

Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  06:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photo! I can still hear his voice ringing in my head.
Go to Top of Page

digger

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  16:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RicKoe

quote:
Originally posted by S C Jones

from 1898 to 1929

The Hammond Dairy

Formerly located at
Fayette Street and Oakley Avenue -
Clinton Street and the Erie Railroad

If the Hammond Dairy were still around today it would be celebrating its centennial. Founded just before the turn of this century, by two brothers Louis and Paul Klitzke. The two enterprising young businessmen started out with just one horse and one wagon. But their small milk business would not remain small for very long. The dairy started off as a one story red brick building with a second story being add to the building to house the dairy's 75 horses. In fact their modest sized Hammond milk depot would at one time be the second largest dairy in the entire state of Indiana in it's heyday, second only to a dairy in Indianapolis. The Hammond Dairy had a peak production capacity of 100,000 pounds of milk per day.

The Hammond Dairy was well known in the industry for it's state of the art equipment. The plant on Oakley Avenue was enlarged several times so that new equipment could be installed. The Hammond Dairy Company's refrigeration, pasteurization and sterilization equipment was the best of it's kind in the nation. The Hammond Dairy Company produced milk and milk products including butter, cheese, whipped cream and it's famous "Velvet Brand Ice Cream". The ice cream was made on the second floor then sent down to the freezer on the first floor, where it was put into containers. Machines to manufacture Eskimo Bars were on the first floor in the former office space of the original dairy and were wrapped in foil by hand in the old days.

In 1921 the dairy was enlarged with a new structure built on Clinton Street, just east of the Erie RR. This helped make use of a rail spur in which the raw milk shipped from Arkon IN was pumped into a receiving tank to await processing. The Company was always quick to keep pace with the city's rapid growth and to keep up with it's growing demand and customer base.[red] Borden's Dairy purchased the company in 1929. The Borden's company made a major expansion in the late 1950's which included a new milk receiving room, testing laboratory, paper carton storage room, enlarged cooler area, enlarged bottling room, in floor conveyors and a new loading dock. Due to shifting markets the plant was phased out and later closed. One of the last remaining plant structures was razed during 1972. Ending a part of the city's industrial history.

I just dug up a Glass milk bottle marked Hammond Dairy Co. It was about two feet under thetop soil of my front yard on the 7300 block of Monroe Avenue. Our house was built in 1930. My shover the bottle and left a minor fracture in the glass. Otherwise it is in great shape.

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1185 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  19:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Margaret:

I'm so glad you found Sheptalk! Please be a frequent poster. I read your post about how much you loved Downtown in the other forum. I loved Downtown, too. My dad worked at Minas's for many years.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

digger

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  22:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Margaret:

I'm so glad you found Sheptalk! Please be a frequent poster. I read your post about how much you loved Downtown in the other forum. I loved Downtown, too. My dad worked at Minas's for many years.

Tom

I talked to my dad today about this site etc. He tells me Jean and Randy Shepherd's father worked for Borden Dairy (previously Hammond Dairy) in Hammond.
Go to Top of Page

tsofred

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  11:25:31  Show Profile  Send tsofred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom w

Hey Fred: I was born on Hoffman and don't remember them. LOL Tom W
Hammond Tech 55-58 Unless one of them was down where Guffy Whitler lived.

Hi Tom.. Lees grill was on the north side of Hoffman the 3rd bldg east of pine st,at onetime it was a butcher shop,I think it was Franks Butcher Shop.Claras Lunch was owned by Guffy Whittlers Mom,it next dooor to Guffs house.
Go to Top of Page

tsofred

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  11:31:02  Show Profile  Send tsofred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seejay2

tsofred
What do you remember about Clara's Lunch?
Do you remember Clara herself?
Could this woman below be Clara?......Cj

No that is not Clara,the picture is from the Jersy Maid restaurent on Hohman and Gostlin sts.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  16:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This picture is NOT from Jersey Maid. At the time this pic was taken (around '1949) the name of the place was "Soda Pump". I have several pictures of this woman (and another) from various different angles in this room. I was in this very building at 6431 Kennedy Ave, in Hessville, about two years ago and the layout is still the same. It even still has a counter (albeit made of wood) that this woman is standing behind...Cj

Edited by - seejay2 on 10/11/2011 16:21:32
Go to Top of Page

BobK

417 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  21:00:45  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! Guffy Whittler, I haven't heard that name since we were classmates at Irving in the mid-50's.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

HassoBenSoba

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  21:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cj--

No kidding. I will check out this building the next time I drive
through Hessville and see what condition it's in. A classic photo.

LR
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  01:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm very familiar with both places too. Tom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly