Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  11:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To my knowledge, "Robot" is the only way they ever addressed it. "Robot, go here! Robot, do that!". I always got a charge out of how it would start with the "Danger! Danger! Aliens approaching!" routine and his arms would swing around like slinkies.
Maybe they should buy up a couple thousand of those and place them along the Mexican border.......Cj
Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  13:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live close to Mexico, believe me, they'd be made into bar b que pits in a heartbeat. LOL.

Jim

Still runnin against the wind.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  09:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you could program the arms to flip the burgers and brush the ribs, you might have product here......Cj
Go to Top of Page

dilligaf717

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  10:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With my luck, I'd be one of the "Lucky" ones caught hiring illegals and end up in the jailhouse. LOL

Jim

Still runnin against the wind.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Vandever

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  17:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Com'n now, Robby the robot was designed to do more than flip burgers,
I'd really like to train him to wash and wax my car.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  17:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That particular model could be your car.....Cj

Go to Top of Page

Alan Vandever

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  11:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid the chassis of my car doesn't have such smooth lines.
Go to Top of Page

scienceguy

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  22:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You talked about Ray Rayner the duck's name was Chevelston not to mention Cuddly Duddley. I still have a photo hand out that Ray handed out with Hi, Signed Ray Rayner.
You also mention Dirty Dragon I have a couple of Dirty Dragon for President buttons that are still in good shape after 40 years.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1185 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  22:17:47  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scienceguy

You talked about Ray Rayner the duck's name was Chevelston not to mention Cuddly Duddley. I still have a photo hand out that Ray handed out with Hi, Signed Ray Rayner.
You also mention Dirty Dragon I have a couple of Dirty Dragon for President buttons that are still in good shape after 40 years.

I think the duck's name was spelled "Chelveston." That's the way it was pronounced, anyway.

Tom

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

duane

371 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  18:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved how Ray always had that one piece jump suit on and would feed Chelveston lettuce! They sure don't make shows like that anymore. I miss the simplicity of it all.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  14:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw today that Bob May, the guy inside of the "Robot" suit on the "Lost in Space" series, passed away. I don't know how long it will last, but here is a link to the story:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iyL-6Yym4W__Filb61G4GeeWuUvAD95PTFL01

Cj
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  18:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey gang, I was over my friend Bob's house a couple of nights ago. He's into old Hannah-Barbara cartoons & he had a DVD set of Lippy the Lion cartoons, which, shall we say, was not exactly kosher. Anway, one of the bonus features was a 1/2 hr. worth of old commercials for kid products from the 50s to the 70s. It started out w/the Flintstones shilling for Winston cigarettes, w/Fred & Barney actually puffing away on the cigs. There was also a bunch of commercials for Ipana toothpaste featuring the Mickey Mouse Club kids, with an offer of autographed pictures of the gang if you pestered your mother to buy a lot of Ipana toothpaste. There was also a series of cereal commercials for Kellog's Corn Flakes, Wheaties & some cereal called Honey Oats made by Nasbisco, as well as an Etch-A-Sketch commercial & for other games. Finally, there was a commerical for Tootsie Rolls in which they depict employees of the Tootsie Roll plant coming home from work in an armoured car to prevent the neighborhood kids to mob them. The condition of the commercials was amazingly good, considering the source.
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  12:32:21  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like real ole fashioned fun. I remember Honey Oats, BUT I only got oatmeal with raisins and , of course , milk.

Linda
Morton from K to 12
Go to Top of Page

SpaceCat

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  22:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of great memories here!
As a now-old space guy, of course I was nuts for space shows as a kid... Flash Gordon, Tom Corbett, Captain Midnight.... and there was another one from prime-time in the early '60's I think called "Men In Space." I remember the hero astronaut was Col. McCaully- and we were envious of the kids on the block that had Col. McCaully space helmets. I never got one- they were expensive for the time- but I did have a Steve Canyon jet pilot helmet.

Some obscure '60's shows I liked- I mentioned "The Everglades" in my post on Shep's Signal Corp days, and when the spy craze hit my favorite was "T.H.E. Cat" with Robert Loggia. While not actually a spy, 'Cat' was the coolest guy on TV ever!
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  23:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget "Science Fiction Theatre," from 1955-57, with great theme music, hosted by Truman Bradley. Distress calls from outer space, voices from the death of Pompei frozen in rock, flying saucers, a scientist eaten alive by termites, mysterious living lights, death rays, a South American cave holding the skeleton of a visitor from the sky--that series had it all. I bought a complete set of the show on E-Bay.

Another favorite was "Rocky Jones, Space Ranger," earlier in the decade. I saw only one or two episodes of "Captain Video"--unlike other shows, very little from it has survived.

"Man and the Challenge" -- great music -- only one episode is currently available, on VHS.

The greatest thrill of all, though, was watching the old "Flash Gordon" serials on TV on Sunday mornings. I still treasure the personally autographed photos Buster Crabbe and Jean Rogers sent me.

Bill

Warren G. Harding Class of '63
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  07:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could not pull me from the TV when it was "Science Fiction Theater" time. That was one of my favorites. Another one, presented by "Alcoa" was "One Step Beyond" hosted by John Newland. The music, by Harry Lubin, that played throughout the show was (and still is) the most haunting and yet beautiful score I have ever heard. They were, appropriately enough, named "Fear" and Wierd". Not long ago I bought the CD with the Harry Lubin "One Step Beyond" music on it.

There was another Chicago based show I can't remember the name of though. I think they showed the Flash Gordon series, but the part I liked was during the break, just before the commercials, the kids would call in and pick one of the planets displayed on a board. The show host would then take that planet from the board and underneath it would be some kind of question that would earn you a prize (a box of Snickers or something) if you answered it right.
To me, that was easier than tossing a ping-pong ball into buckets. I still can't get past two.....Cj
Go to Top of Page

duane

371 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  09:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't the avid sci-fi buff like some of you forum members, but Sunday mornings were Flash Gordon time! Being raised in a Catholic family, going to church was mandatory (under penalty of mortal sin), but I would hurry home to watch Flash.

Dr. Zarkov was my favorite...the science officer long before Spock ever took that role. I loved his machines and gadgets with the dials, knobs, and that thing that had an electric arc that climbed up between two electrodes.

Even as a kid, I always wondered about the Space ships however. While they looked very cool, their propusion system (those puffs of dark smoke and the buzzing) always seemed inadequate and like they would fall out of the sky at any moment.

Other favorites were Ming...very good in his alien sinister way. The big guys with the Wings - they were Flash's friends, but I don't remember the name of their species; and the great Floating City.
Go to Top of Page

duane

371 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  09:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember "the Story Teller" on Channel 11 (public TV)?
The show would open showing a bookcase full of books and then zoom in on a bookend holding up some books. The bookend had a little statue of a guy (who kind of looked like Link from the Zelda game). Then he would come to life and read a story to all the listeners.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  12:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duane, you're far better than I am at identifying earth flora, but I clearly have the jump on you when it comes to the denizens of Mongo. Those were the Hawk Men, of course, led by King Vultan--Flash's enemies, at first, but later they became allies.

Dr. Zarkov was a great favorite of mine, too. I have models of his rocket ship, and of Ming's.

In "The Return of the Smiling Wimpy Doll" (from Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories) Shep tells (page 272) of a fist fight he had with Schwartz, over who was better, Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers. That fight was (1) utterly pointless, since Buster Crabbe portrayed both heroes in the serials, and (2) totally a figment of Shep's imagination, as you can see by doing the math. As I recall, the Buck Rogers comic strip premiered around 1929, and Flash Gordon in 1935. Now, Shep was born in 1921. Fourteen+ year olds fighting over a girl--maybe. Over comic strip characters--no way.

Bill

Edited by - Bill Bucko on 02/01/2009 12:45:52
Go to Top of Page

Cindy M

15 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  16:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TV was great!

I remember if we wanted to watch the cartoon shows that came on early in the morning, we had to be very, very quiet!

H.R. Pufnstuff was a favorite of my little sister, along with B.J. and Dirty Dragon show featuring Speed Racer.

The Prize Movie with Ione was a hoot. She hosted a really chopped down movie, and did exercises and things during the movie breaks.

Mom usually had the Lee Philip Show on at what seemed like around lunch time.

All us kids in the neighborhood went absolutely wild when the Batman show began.

Dad loved to watch hockey alot. He would be stretched out in the reclining chair, seemingly sound asleep, mouth agape and snoring. One of us kids would sneak over to change the channel, when...whadda ya know...Dad: "I'm watching that!".
Go to Top of Page

cartoonguy

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  00:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
---In reply to---Does anyone remember "the Story Teller" on Channel 11 (public TV)?

I do; The Storyteller - about a bookend elf that comes to life when 'Greensleeves' is playing and then proceeds to read a story of the day for us kids. I recall watching it around 1966, and it was part of a thirty minute time block, along with the show “The Friendly Giant”, each running fifteen minutes long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_Giant
Go to Top of Page

duane

371 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  21:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks....I was beginning to think it was all a dream. I'd forgotten about Greensleeves as the theme, but your mention of it brought it all back. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  14:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garfield Goose and Friends

How about this familiar looking jacket? I took the picture about ten years ago at the radio and television museum in the old Chicago Public Library building at Michigan Avenue and Randolph Street. For pictures of Frazier Thomas wearing this jacket with his friend Garfield and others, take a look at this site: Garfield Goose and Friends
Ken...

Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  17:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan:
The name of the show that you mentioned was Surfside Six. Cricket Blake was Connie Stevens. Kookie was Eddie Burns. Remember the song, Kookie, Kookie, Lend me your comb? Surfside Six was the address of the boat in Miami Beach. Thats the way I remember anyhow.
My favorite will always be Soupy Sales with his dogs "Pooky and Hippy" Tom W
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1185 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  20:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvcogs

Garfield Goose and Friends

How about this familiar looking jacket? I took the picture about ten years ago at the radio and television museum in the old Chicago Public Library building at Michigan Avenue and Randolph Street. For pictures of Frazier Thomas wearing this jacket with his friend Garfield and others, take a look at this site: Garfield Goose and Friends
Ken...

Thanks, Ken!

A 1967 Graduate of Hammond High who cherishes his memories of growing up in the Hammond of the 1950's and 1960's. Bring back those days!

Go to Top of Page

Alan Vandever

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  22:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom W.
You're right, it was Surf Side Six but, Kookie Was from 77 sunset strip.
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  23:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan;
You are absolutely correct. Also Soupy's dogs were White Fang and Black Tooth. Well, I guess old age is catching up with me. Thank you.
Tom W.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  23:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, why didn't you say you were interested? As Tom J. already knows, I have special connections. In addition to being an official card-carrying member of Captain Midnight's 1957 Secret Squadron, I also have an "in" with Garfield Goose:

How's that! I'm even giving you his secret code!

(Though actually, any kid with a copy of that old stand-by, Herbert S. Zim's Codes and Secret Writing, could break such a simple code in a few minutes.)

Bill

Edited by - Bill Bucko on 05/13/2009 00:00:49
Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  21:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

I thought that Kookie was one of the characters on "77 Sunset Strip". Not sure; it's been a long time.

As was already mentioned, White Fang (a la Jack London) and Black Tooth were Soupy Sales' dogs. Pookie was a lion and Hippy a hippopotamus.

The Soupy Sales Show (the originals, not the late '60s and on version [or was it '70s?) was also one of my favorites. He released two albums in 1961-'62, both of which we still have.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

quote:
Originally posted by tom w

Alan:
The name of the show that you mentioned was Surfside Six. Cricket Blake was Connie Stevens. Kookie was Eddie Burns. Remember the song, Kookie, Kookie, Lend me your comb? Surfside Six was the address of the boat in Miami Beach. Thats the way I remember anyhow.
My favorite will always be Soupy Sales with his dogs "Pooky and Hippy" Tom W

Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  23:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pro2am;
Yup. I think of all the shows on TV, Soupy was by far the fastest. It seemed to me that it was over way too fast. He will always rate up there with my all time kings, Stanley and Oliver. You are lucky to have that momento just like Bill is with the membership card. Tom W.
Go to Top of Page

wvcogs

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  13:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DIRTY DRAGON FOR PRESIDENT

Yep, here are a couple more photos from the O'Neal archives (as in attic) that were taken at the Dirty Dragon presidential campaign rally in Harrison Park in Hammond in 1968. My oldest son was 5 at the time and was a "card carrying" supporter of Dirty.
Ken...

Edited by - wvcogs on 05/28/2009 14:16:00
Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2009 :  13:52:07  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Hey, something good old Bill Bucko said in another thread gave me the idea to start this thread.

Why don't we talk about those great old shows that we used to watch so faithfully during the 50s and 60s? Kids shows, regular shows, whatever.

Anyone remember Two Ton Baker? Captain Kangaroo; Garfield Goose; Howdy Doody: Kukla, Fran, and Ollie; Mickey Mouse Club, Rin Tin Tin, Sky King? What show did Ray Raymer host? Who watched Gunsmoke? Bonanza? Wagon Train? What about "The Wonderful World of Disney?"

Tom

Go to Top of Page

svea3

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2009 :  13:57:36  Show Profile  Send svea3 an ICQ Message  Click to see svea3's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What a blast to read all your info. I was talking to my friend who a year older and a Finn from Minnesota and she had never heard of Kukla Fran and Ollie . It must of been our proximity to Chicagoland!

Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  22:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I find it intriguing that I don't remember the show "Man and The Challenge". However, I do own an original 45rpm copy of the theme song. I love the music.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

==========================

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

Don't forget "Science Fiction Theatre," from 1955-57, with great theme music, hosted by Truman Bradley. Distress calls from outer space, voices from the death of Pompei frozen in rock, flying saucers, a scientist eaten alive by termites, mysterious living lights, death rays, a South American cave holding the skeleton of a visitor from the sky--that series had it all. I bought a complete set of the show on E-Bay.

Another favorite was "Rocky Jones, Space Ranger," earlier in the decade. I saw only one or two episodes of "Captain Video"--unlike other shows, very little from it has survived.

"Man and the Challenge" -- great music -- only one episode is currently available, on VHS.

The greatest thrill of all, though, was watching the old "Flash Gordon" serials on TV on Sunday mornings. I still treasure the personally autographed photos Buster Crabbe and Jean Rogers sent me.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Pro2am

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  22:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spacecat,

I remember "Men In Space". I still have an old monophonic LP that contains the theme song.

Also, there was a "Steve Canyon" series back in the late '50s that aired on Saturday evenings.

Mike Rapchak Jr.

P.S. Anyone rememeber "The Buccaneers"? Also a Stauday-evening show back then.

===============================

quote:
Originally posted by SpaceCat

Lots of great memories here!
As a now-old space guy, of course I was nuts for space shows as a kid... Flash Gordon, Tom Corbett, Captain Midnight.... and there was another one from prime-time in the early '60's I think called "Men In Space." I remember the hero astronaut was Col. McCaully- and we were envious of the kids on the block that had Col. McCaully space helmets. I never got one- they were expensive for the time- but I did have a Steve Canyon jet pilot helmet.

Some obscure '60's shows I liked- I mentioned "The Everglades" in my post on Shep's Signal Corp days, and when the spy craze hit my favorite was "T.H.E. Cat" with Robert Loggia. While not actually a spy, 'Cat' was the coolest guy on TV ever!

Go to Top of Page

Jay

145 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  17:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite Chicago television program was Shock Theater on channel 7 (WLS). The male host was dressed in black and wore dark shades just like a beatnik.

I also was a member of the Dick Tracy crimefighters club. I had my own ID card with decoder, similar to the Garfield Goose card posted earlier.

Edited by - Jay on 12/07/2009 17:51:25
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bucko

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  02:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

My favorite Chicago television program was Shock Theater on channel 7 (WLS). The male host was dressed in black and wore dark shades just like a beatnik. ...

I remember characters on Shock Theater named Shorty (very tall) and Orville. And fascinating movies like "The Mad Ghoul" (from which I learned the word "cardiactomy"). Unfortunately, my parents rarely let me watch the program.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  08:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't you remember Marvin and his wife 'Dear' and how he was always killing her with kindness during the commercial breaks? Marvin's real name was Terry Johnson. He and his wife relocated to Florida and I believe I found an obit on him somewhere on line.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bucko

quote:
Originally posted by Jay

My favorite Chicago television program was Shock Theater on channel 7 (WLS). The male host was dressed in black and wore dark shades just like a beatnik. ...

I remember characters on Shock Theater named Shorty (very tall) and Orville. And fascinating movies like "The Mad Ghoul" (from which I learned the word "cardiactomy"). Unfortunately, my parents rarely let me watch the program.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  06:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to stick this under Other Icons from the Past but then I saw this and I thought why not.
I just wanted to mention that my wife and I have been watching LAWMAN and the black and white GUNSMOKE on the Westerns channel lately. We enjoy both shows and I think they hold up well. The genuine friendship the actors have for each other comes through very well. I can see why GUNSMOKE lasted 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  07:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin's real name was Terry Bennett. "Dear's" name is (still alive) Joy.....Cj
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1185 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  08:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, Mr. seejay2, it's about time we heard from you!

How does it feel to officially be a Kentucky Hillbilly?

Tom

Edited by - Tom J on 07/27/2010 08:09:25
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  07:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected on Marvin's last name. Just think if I hadn't brought this thead back, no one would have noticed me incorrectness!
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  19:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize that the Marvin thing was reaching all the way back into last year until I posted it, but I swear to God I won't tell anyone about your mistake.......Cj
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  19:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey y'all!
Can I actually be a Kentucky Hillbilly even with all this Yankee blood flowing thru my veins??. Is it just a matter of geographic location or would it help if I threw my shoes away too?......Cj
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

Hey, Mr. seejay2, it's about time we heard from you!

How does it feel to officially be a Kentucky Hillbilly?

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  07:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seejay, Have you developed the accent? I think that is the question you need to address for us. I knew a guy from Chicago who repaired escalators. He moved down to Memphis and developed the heaviest accent you ever heard in about six months! When I've been in the south, I always listen to how people voice y'all-it does vary. When I was at Morton, I thought that southern accents started someplace around Kentland,Ind. I'm not sure that's the case anymore.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  06:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim--When I was at Morton, the Mason-Dixon Line started for me at Route 30, but the accent layer overlapped as far north as Youngstown Sheet & Tube. This was where I began to study "Yammer 101", of course not thinking for a moment that I would ever live this far south.

My realtor did drop a few tips on me to include:
When you speak to one person, it's "y'all"; more than one, it's "all y'all" (y'alls is possesive; e.g. "this is y'alls' stuff").
Secondly, the difference between a 'Yankee' and a 'damn Yankee' is that a 'damn Yankee' is the one that doesn't go back home.

One thing that I have found out on my own though, proper etiquette says that the 'Yankee' should wave first, whether you are walking, driving or in the boat,----wave first!!
Seriously though, years ago I spent some time in Jersey and New York. I didn't realize it, but I was told I had picked up that accent, which has since faded back to "Chicago style" Foulmouth....Cj
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  06:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, when I moved to Ca. I learned two things:There is no life east of Sepulveda Ave.(Pacific Coast Highway) and "Welcome to Ca.,Now go home!"
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  09:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I concur.

I spent about 5 weeks in Redondo Beach (1970; right after Nam). If you really want to build up a name for yourself there, do what I did:
I was with several vets one evening in my car, which was a green '69 Fury III. Someone suggested we go to some park out there. I pulled into this park and there were dozens of cars all over. The smell of grass (yes, that grass) was pretty thick in the air. Right away, cars were starting up and leaving. Shortly, my car was the only one left there. Pat (from Torrance), sitting in that back seat, starts laughing about all of this. It seems that my car was an exact match (barring the IND plates and snow tires) for one that was used by the state cops for undercover work....Cj
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2010 :  06:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, You have my curiousity up. As I live in Torrance and have lived in Redondo,do you remember where this park is at. This is a story I'm going to enjoy telling the guys over at the gym. I didn't move out here til '74 so I missed out on this.
Go to Top of Page

seejay2

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  06:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have absolutely no idea which park that was, Jim. In fact, I didn't know then. I was just doing the driving. I will drop some names on you though; Chuck Arrasmith, Pat Calderone and Pete Al(h?)grim. These were all Nam vets I hooked up with out there. Pat had a brother attending San Diego Law university and we spent some time down there as well.......Cj
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.com © 2006-2012 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page