General Talk
 Hammond Indiana
 Old Commercials
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tom J

1183 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  19:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping for great things on the DVD set that I ordered from Amazon.com. The title is "1001 Classic Commercials," and it is a three disc set with 16 hrs. of viewing.

There were ten ratings for the set on Amazon, and most were very favorable. There were complaints that the quality of the image was very poor for some of the commercials, but I guess we have to take the bad with the good. Film doesn't hold up very well over time.

I thought it might be fun to start a thread about old commercials to see which ones are our favorites. Seems like there might already be a thread in here about old commercials, but I guess it won't hurt to start a new one.

OK, so let's hear from everyone... what is the first commercial that you can remember, and what is your favorite commercial from your youth?

Tom

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  19:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, do you remember the cartoon characters Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble starring in a Winston cigarette commercial? It may have been posted on this board, Tom. Maybe that will show up in your DVD set.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1183 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  20:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure, Joel, I remember those commercials.

Some of my favorite old commercials are the Gillette commercials that they aired during the Friday Night Fights. I also loved the Hamm's Beer commercials with the Hamm's Bear.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  20:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah!! The jingle "From the land of sky blue waters"
Go to Top of Page

BobK

415 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  21:19:58  Show Profile  Send BobK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sitting in front of the TV and can't remember the last one.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  08:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's because the jingles aren't as good. How many of those old jingles can you still sing? Winston tastes good like a ______ should. Bet you had no trouble filling the blank!!
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Bob

Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  10:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the old Victory Auto Wreckers, in Besenville? They are still running the same commercial from the middle 1970's

Joel
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  07:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, I bought this set from my local Target for $5. It was fun but the sheer repetition of the cigarette commercials gets a little boring. They have several other Mill Creek sets for $5.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

I'm hoping for great things on the DVD set that I ordered from Amazon.com. The title is "1001 Classic Commercials," and it is a three disc set with 16 hrs. of viewing.

There were ten ratings for the set on Amazon, and most were very favorable. There were complaints that the quality of the image was very poor for some of the commercials, but I guess we have to take the bad with the good. Film doesn't hold up very well over time.

I thought it might be fun to start a thread about old commercials to see which ones are our favorites. Seems like there might already be a thread in here about old commercials, but I guess it won't hurt to start a new one.

OK, so let's hear from everyone... what is the first commercial that you can remember, and what is your favorite commercial from your youth?

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1183 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  07:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whoa, Jim, I should have checked Walmart or Target before ordering. I think I paid $13.99 plus shipping.

I hope there is some good stuff somewhere in the 16 hrs of playing time. :)

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Jay

142 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  18:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobK

Bob

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83xxWCel8g and see if that will jiggle your memory bank.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1183 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  14:32:57  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Peeps, I am not exactly thrlled with that CD. :(

I still have LOTS of commercials to go, but the ones I have seen so far do not conger up any strong memories.

One thing that is really, really weird is that there are Major League Baseball players hawking cigarettes on some of those old commercials.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Joel357

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  19:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Sometimes you win a few and lose a few. Too bad it wasn't up to standards.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

Jay

142 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  09:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whoa, Jim, I should have checked Walmart or Target before ordering. I think I paid $13.99 plus shipping.

I hope there is some good stuff somewhere in the 16 hrs of playing time. :)

Tom

Tom, too bad you did not purchase the DVD through one of the third parties that advertise at Amazon.com. I notice some of them are offering that DVD in new condition up to 50% off the regular price you paid that Amazon charges.

For those contemplating purchasing this DVD, read a review at http://www.dvdtown.com/review/1001-classic-commercials/dvd/7157
Go to Top of Page

nitti

66 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  10:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tom

It's not quite a Commercial,more like a subtle product placement (but they did sponsor the show....)

Oh Cisco, oh Pancho........then, slowly, the musical theme (no words), tut tut nothing like, tut tut nothing like, Butternut Bread....
Go to Top of Page

tom w

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  00:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the singing radio ad for Shinola shoe Polish? Tom W

Edited by - tom w on 08/02/2010 00:19:40
Go to Top of Page

diskojoe

161 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  13:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, I recently bought that DVD set @ my local Borders for $5. I still haven't got through all of it, but if you're into cars, there's some rather interesting stuff, including a Chevy promo film from 1960 showing the brand new Corvair going through the paces at the Lime Rock race course to show how well it handles & another Chevy promo film from 1957 showing their entire truck line going through the Alcan Highway. I think the best bet is to watch it a bit at a time, maybe before you watch a regular movie. One thing I did notice about the set is that the earlier B&W commercials seem to be in better shape that the later color ones.
Go to Top of Page

Tom J

1183 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  08:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom J's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diskojoe

Tom, I recently bought that DVD set @ my local Borders for $5. I still haven't got through all of it, but if you're into cars, there's some rather interesting stuff, including a Chevy promo film from 1960 showing the brand new Corvair going through the paces at the Lime Rock race course to show how well it handles & another Chevy promo film from 1957 showing their entire truck line going through the Alcan Highway. I think the best bet is to watch it a bit at a time, maybe before you watch a regular movie. One thing I did notice about the set is that the earlier B&W commercials seem to be in better shape that the later color ones.

Disko:

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your post. I think you are right about watching a little at a time. I think I burnt myself out on it, and I have not been back to it for a long time. I just might have to check out some more of it in the next few days.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Jim Plummer

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  02:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if it's the set I have there is a lot of repetition in the cigarette commercials section
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shep Talk Forum - sheptalk.com © 2006-2012 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page